Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Methi Peas Paratha


I like including Methi in my cooking whenever possible. I like the slight bitter taste of methi in my food. I saw fresh peas in the fridge and decided to make methi mattar malai, but when I took the peas out realised that I do not have enough peas to make the dish.. so here is what I did



You need
For the Dough
Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Milk - 2 tbsp
Water
Salt

For the filling
Peas - 0.5 cup
Methi - 1 cup finely chopped
Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
Green chillis - 1 tbsp finely chopped
Cilantro - 2 tbsp finely chopped
Mustard, oil 1 tsp each
Salt

Method

Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan
Add mustard; when it starts to splutter add in the mehti leaves and fry on high for 1 min
Remove and keep aside
Heat the remaining oil, add onion and fry till onion turns pink in color
In the mean time coarsely grind the green peas and the green chillies. As I was using fresh raw peas, I did not soak and cook them.
Add the methi and peas to the onion and fry for another min
Add salt and cook covered over medium flame for 2 mins
Remove from heat, add cilantro mix well and keep aside

Mix flour, milk, water and salt in a processor and make a soft dough
Cover with wet cloth and rest for 30 mins

Pinch a portion of the dough and roll it out into a small circle of about 3 - 3.5 inch diameter
Add a tbsp of filling in the centre
Bring all the sides together and pinch the top together so that the filling stays in
Now roll out slowly into a circle

Heat a tawa
Cook the paratha on one side without applying any oil /ghee
Turn it over and then apply oil / ghee
Cook well on both sides
Serve Hot with Curds

3 comments:

Reva said...

Lovely parathas... awesome..
Reva

Hema said...

Love methi parathas, nice green filling..

Julie said...

Very flavorful paratha,yummy!!
Happy to follow your space,Shree:)
Do drop by my space N I would love if you join my space too

Erivum Puliyum