Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vennai Puttu (ICC - Indian cooking challenge)


For this month's ICC challenge, Srivalli choose Vennai Puttu an authentic recipe shared by Priya Suresh. Srivalli suggested Nirmala's post for reference.

I am very hesitant in trying out traditional recipes and when I read out this month's ICC challenge recipe to my MIL she said "Yes yes I remember I used to make this but we never added channa dal".. and this made me even worried about whether I would be able to get the same taste.. but like all tried and tested traditional recipe this came out soo yumm..



You need 
Raw rice - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup Grated
Channa Dal - 1/4 
Coconut - 2 tbsp Shredded or sliced fresh coconut pieces
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashewnuts - few 
Ghee
Salt (No mention of this in the recipe, added as per my MIL's advice)

Method
Soak Rice in water for 3 hrs (I soaked the rice in hot water for 1 hr)

Cook Channa dal in cooker with 1 cup water for 3 whistles. You need to ensure that the channa dal is cooked but retains shape
Dissolve Jaggery in 1/4 cup water, strain and keep aside
Grind the rice in the mixer / grinder till it becomes a fine paste. I used 1/4 cup water to grind the rice
In a thick bottomed pan bring 2 cups of water to boil
Reduce flame to medium
Add the batter slowly and keep stirring (take help for this :) ), ensuring that the batter does not form lumps
Keep stirring till the rice is cooked
Add in the syrup, channa dal, cardamom and salt
Keep stirring till the mixture leaves the side of the pan (~ 4 - 5 mins)
Add the coconut and mix well

Heat 1/2 tsp Ghee, raost the Cashews and keep aside
Scoop out the puttu into a bowl, decorate with cashew and serve hot :)

Notes:
How do you know rice is cooked - Mixture starts to shine and when you wet your hands and touch the mixture it does not stick to your hand.

10 comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious preparation...yum..

Gayathri NG said...

Authentic n yummylicious puttu...

Sobha Shyam said...

lovely preparation, looks yum, new to me, thanx for stopping by my space...:)

Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

Shree said...

thank you ladies

Julie said...

Very delicious puttu..yummy!!

Erivum Puliyum

Now Serving said...

That puttu looks like a great dish for the cooking challenge - Looks also like the stuffing for kozhakattais

maha said...

looks yum, delicious..very new to me,

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Nice recipe :)
You have an award at my space, pls grab it :)
http://cook-ezee.blogspot.com/2012/02/moru-currymoru-kachiyathu-spiced.html

Shree said...

thank you Prathiba for the award.

Wholesale Printers said...

Something Better to your blog. By Trade Wholesale Printing